- He was the vizier of Mentuhotep IV (or Mentuhotep III by some reckonings).
- He ascended to the throne after the mysterious disappearance (death?) of Mentuhotep.
- He was assassinated just before his jubilee year.
- His assassins were part of the palace hierarchy.
- Some people think that his own vizier was part of the assassination plot though since the evidence is not very good this is disputed. If true it makes a nice historical symmetry: others did to Amenemhet I what he had done to others.
- Though he seems to have set Egypt on a new course, little survives from his long reign.
Friday, June 14, 2013
The conventional wisdom on Amenemhet I is as follows: