Friday, January 18, 2013

On Administrative Bloat

An astute reader points out an article on the rising cost of higher education in the Deseret News earlier this week. This is one of many articles that appear. One good site that tends to accumulate these things is http://www.mindingthecampus.com/. I do not think I have seen the Deseret News piece appear there.

I notice that my seventh cousin [correction: fourth cousin once removed] is mentioned in the Deseret News in a derogatory way.  (I've never met him but I have seen very little positive press about him recently.) He happens to be the highest paid public university president in the United States, and that is simply the base salary, not the fringe benefits. As I say, I do not know him so I do not know if either the censure or the salary is deserved.